
The view of the ocean was great along the beach boulevard. We got to see shrimp boats out all the time, and there really is nothing better than fresh Gulf seafood. CPSI took us out to dinner one night at Mary Mahoney's Old French House and the food was superb--seafood gumbo, blackened lemonfish, and lump crabmeat. The next night, our little group splurged and went to Emeril's Gulf Coast Fish House. It was something else for these "hicks from the sticks" in Arizona to go to a restaurant where the waiters place your napkin in your lap, then fold it back for you if you have to leave the table. The food was absolutely divine--one member of our group said it was a "spiritual experience." All I know is that I'm fairly certain I cannot get seafood that fresh or that tastes that good after it's been shipped to sunny Arizona.
I also got to revisit this massive tree that was only a block away from the house we lived in when my Dad was stationed in Biloxi. It's amazing that this tree has gone through Hurricanes Camille and Katrina, yet so many buildings were washed away. If you look closely you can see the large cables and iron ties through the branches keeping it together. I'm glad I came here two years ago, as the house we lived has since been torn down.


I think the last picture I have of me in this tree was when I was 2.
This is another view of the oak tree. The interesting thing is that there were lots of others that were also massive. They sure don't grow like this in Arizona!


Finally, we were able to see Beauvoir (well, the outside anyway) on our last day in Biloxi. It's amazing to see how much they have restored since Hurricane Katrina reduced it to nothing more than a box. Beauvoir means "beautiful view" in French, and it's exactly that, looking out on a breathtaking view of the Gulf through the oak trees.


Although the days at the conference were long, we came back with a lot of great information. I can certainly see why my parents talk about Biloxi with such fond memories, as it really is an enchanting place.

1 comment:
wow that's cool. glad you had a good time! - i find myself missing places i've never been when our family shares those stories. I guess that contributed to why I'm in Texas now!
btw, the ONLY place I could recommend for good seafood would be Pappadeaux's in Phoenix. they fly fish in several times a day! (P.S. , try the Gator, it's delicious)
Post a Comment