Saturday, February 5, 2011

Adventures in Saving Money-NOT!

We now take a break from our semi-regular updates to have a public service announcement on how not to save money. One of our local stores had this great deal:
















After boiling them up with some carrots, celery, and onion for the broth, we had to pick out the meat and were left with this large bowl full of skin, gristle, bones, and other assorted chicken bits:















After weighing the meat we ended up with this much chicken:
















Pulling out the calculator shows me that I got this chicken meat for $1.73 a pound, when I could have waited for boneless, skinless, chicken breasts to go on sale for 99 cents a pound. Oops! Guess what I'll not be doing again?

1 comment:

Ky said...

OK, Ky goes grocery shopping quite often, but apparently not enough to know that boneless, skinless chicken does not go on sale for 99 cents a pound. We usually pay $1.99 a pound for boneless, skinless chicken. However I think the boneless, skinless is still a better deal. Sorry, I didn't know Ky was still signed in on here. This is a comment by Lynaya.