Saturday, May 3, 2008

Ky + Weedburner + Yucca = 911




All the spring rain we got 2 months ago brought up a fine crop of grass in our front driveway rock. I haven't had too much luck with the lawnmower on it, and I broke the weed eater earlier this month, so I thought burning it would be the easiest thing to do. I borrowed a weedburner, filled up my propane tank and got to work. All was great, and the yard was looking nice, that is up until a small patch of grass decided to jump the fence while on fire and set the yuccas in the backyard on fire. No problem I'm thinking, I'll just grab the hose that's running on the rosebushes and put it out. Really, it's just a small fire. I asked Lynaya to help me get some more hose closer to the fire, but thankfully she had enough sense to call 911. We had people stop in the middle of the street, had a bucket brigade going on along with 2 hoses. Even after we got the active flames out, it continued to smolder and pop up. By this time we had the Thatcher Police, the Fire Chief, and the Thatcher Fire Department here dousing the thing with their high pressure hose, with it still emitting smoke! Finally it was declared okay and they packed up and went their way. The kids thought it was great that we got to see a real fire truck up close, but as for me, it was a little too close for comfort. Luckily it was only a yucca, and no one was physically hurt in the process, just my pride!

2 comments:

K80lady said...

Holy cow that is so funny! So, you didn't have enough excitement in your life, you just had to get the fire department to come over and have some fun?

Lexa said...

Oh gosh..And everyone wonders why I didn't burn the weeds at my place. Too many horror stories.. Thank goodness it didn't catch the house.
This is the time you go...Is the amount of insurance I have on the house actually enough to rebuild it? After I heard about Emalene's daughters house burning, I called my insurance carrier, and I was carrying 135,000 on the house that would take 280,000 to rebuild. Not a good thing...